Hard water can be a big problem for homeowners, especially when it comes to hard water stains. These pesky stains collect in showers, sinks and toilets, and they can be very difficult to remove! Here are some different methods for removing hard water stains and preventing them altogether.
Water Softener Installation
The best way to prevent hard water stains is to have a water softener, which filters out calcium and other metals in hard water by replacing them with sodium ions. After the water is filtered through the softener, it is called soft water.
The sodium in soft water can occasionally leave stains similar to hard water if you don’t clean regularly. However, cleaning is made easier because soap isn’t wasted by bonding to the calcium ions that are present in hard water.
Baking Soda and Vinegar
A powerful duo used for many cleaning needs, vinegar and baking soda will do the trick for regular, hard water stains. While the instructions below are meant for a toilet, they can be adapted to any space.
- Mix one cup of vinegar into your toilet bowl or other area.
- Put in a cup of baking soda and one to two more cups of vinegar.
- Allow the solution to sit for 10 minutes, and then scrub with a toilet brush to ensure that all stains are covered in the solution.
- Continue to scrub and stir around the stains for up to 30 minutes or until all the stains are gone. Then flush the solution.
Borax and Vinegar
This method is very similar to using baking soda and vinegar, and it works well against hard water stains. Again, while it caters specifically to toilets, this method can be adapted to sinks and showers, as well.
- Mix ¼ cup of Borax into the toilet bowl.
- Pour one cup of vinegar into the bowl, and let the solution sit for about 20 minutes.
- Scrub the bowl using a toilet brush and flush the solution.
For especially stubborn stains, a paste made from Borax and vinegar can help.
- Mix ½ cup of Borax and enough vinegar to make a thick paste.
- Place the paste over hard water stains immediately after mixing (it will harden quickly).
- Let the paste sit for 15 to 20 minutes, and then scrub it off with a stiff-bristled brush.
Mr. Plumber is the plumbing company Boerne residents trust for water softener installation. For more information, contact us today.