Turkey, stuffing, and clogged drains – oh, my! The last thing you want to worry about while trying to enjoy Thanksgiving with friends and family is having to deal with clogged drains and plumbing problems. Because it’s right around the corner, it’s important to keep in mind some helpful tips on how to keep your drains unclogged on Turkey Day.
Thanksgiving weekend is known to be a plumber’s busiest time of the year. After preparing and eating a large meal, people try to push things down garbage disposals in sinks and end up clogging the drains. Some clog-preventing tips include:
- Don’t pour fats or cooking oils down the drain. Grease solidifies and can prevent it from going down your drain.
- Avoid putting bones or fruit rinds in the disposal because the blades are not strong enough to break these items down and process them.
- Avoid putting starches such as rice and pasta in the disposal because these items expand with water and may create a glue within the disposal.
- Make sure the disposal is already running when you put food into it.
- Don’t flush cotton balls, hair, facial scrub or swabs down the toilet because they don’t dissolve and will cause clogs.
- For homes hosting more guests than usual, try to wait 15 minutes between showers so water has time to drain.
Customers have misconceptions that because it’s Thanksgiving Day, plumbers won’t be available. In reality, this is when most plumbing services are fully staffed and prepared to help.
In the case of a plumbing emergency, Mr. Plumber has plenty of qualified, licensed technicians available in the San Antonio area to assist you this holiday season!
Related Post: How To Keep Your Kitchen Drain Healthy This Thanksgiving Plumbing Services