As I poured my laundry detergent into the washing machine this weekend, I noticed grub and grimy buildup on the agitator. Gross! I’m supposed to wash my clothes in there. Naturally, I took to the Internet for safe, simple and environmentally friendly ways to wash my washers (washing machine and dishwasher).
Washing Machine – Considering people used to wash their clothes in the same rivers and lakes where they bathed, washing machines have spoiled first-world folks for decades. If you haven’t looked inside your washing machine before throwing in a load, you might be surprised or disgusted by what you find. Below are some simple ways to keep your washing machine clean:
- Fill your washing machine with hot water
- Add 1 quart of chlorine bleach (no detergent!)
- Let sit for one hour
- Run through the longest wash/spin cycle
- Fill washer again
- Add 1 quart of distilled white vinegar
- Let sit for one hour
- While the vinegar sits, use a cloth to clean around and inside the appliance
- Run through the longest wash/spin cycle AGAIN
Dishwasher – These appliances are very handy but can get really dirty and disgusting. Make sure you check for standing water on the bottom of the dishwasher. If you have standing water, you have a problem. But, even if you don’t have an issue and would just like a cleaner looking and performing appliance, follow these simple steps:
- Pull out the bottom rack – check for utensils, fallen items and debris
- Put a dishwasher safe cup or container with plain white vinegar on the top rack
- Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom tub – this improves the smell and appearance of the dishwasher
- Run a short, but complete cycle
(For Mold or mildew: Add ½-1 cup of bleach to the bottom and run for a full cycle. This process is not recommended for stainless steel dishwashers.)
Tips: Run your garbage disposal before you run your dishwasher. Run hot water down the sink before you wash your dishes in the dishwasher to help peak appliance performance.
Hopefully, those tips and tricks help keep your costly water utilizing appliances clean and working efficiently. If you have any concerns about the performance of your appliance, do not hesitate to contact a professional.
From kitchen plumbing to slab leak repair, Mr. Plumber Plumbing company has you covered. Schedule your plumbing appointment today.